Tech Tip – Assigning Roles To ChatGPT : The “Act As …” Prompt
If you’re looking for a fast, easy, and effective prompt to make ChatGPT write in a specific stye, or the style of a specific person / type of person, try assigning a role. Here’s how:
– To give ChatGPT a persona / a well-known personality, or make it write in the style(s) of a certain type of person when making responses, the fast and easy way is to assign a role. This can be done by using the simple, easy to remember prompt, “Act as ….”, inserting the type of person you want it to deliver answers in the style of.
– For example, ask ChatGPT to: “Act as a cockney. Write a thank you letter to my new supplier for delivering all the materials on time and for going the extra mile this year”.
– ChatGPT will write the entire response in character, e.g. “Blimey, ain’t it a pleasure doin’ business with ya! Me an’ the whole crew ‘ere at….”.
– Alternatively, and more in line with the business world, type: “Act as a grateful fellow professional. Write a thank you letter to my new supplier for delivering all the materials on time and for going the extra mile this year”.
– The response to the “act as…” prompt will make the points in the appropriate style. For example, this simple prompt returns a message beginning: “I am writing this letter to express my heartfelt gratitude for your exemplary service and support over the course of this year …”.
– Add more specific details with this simple prompt to improve the targeting of the response.